Hi Stephen,

Fortunately this db schema is not of my design and unfortunately i'm not
able to change it.

Most applications have a User table, if those users are organized then there
may be a Group table, and if theres any kind of ecommerce or whatever going
on then it might have a Order table.  How would you name these so as not to
use reserved words?

> Not sure why you would want to allow or continue to use badly formed sql.

I don't consider SELECT `UserId` FROM `User` to be badly formed sql. when
i'm writing sql i would enclose every table and column in back ticks whether
thay are reserved words or not - because then they change color in my sql
ide and that makes it look nice! :D

I've used all those words above as table names in the past (now you hate me
don't you ;-)) because they are accurate description of what they are.  Just
because the dbms says its a reserved word doesn't mean you should not use it
- the dbms provides you with a way of escaping them for precisely this
reason.

If you use MySQL server you will know that the mysql db actually has a table
called "user"

I'm not spoiling for a fight, just curious for your opinion on this

Cheers, Chris