On 23/06/2008, at 6:10 PM, F Wolff wrote (in part):

PS: this week-end, I have worked on the setup of that server so that
it uses some Debian SVN and GIT repositories as reference. The real
showstopper here is resyncing things in the following case:

1) Project <foo> is a SVN checkout
2) A Pootle user changes strings in <foo> for his|her language, say
  tlh (Klingon). (s)he *does not* commit things back via Pootle
3) The tlh.po file changes "upstream", ie in the SVN repository, for
  instance because some new strings appear
4) What happens when the Pootle user wants to commit things back?
  There's an obvious case for an SVN conflict to appear, here

Yes, this is where direct use of SVN would cause a conflict. Obviously a
Pootle server can't afford a conflict, since the file would become
unusable.

Therefore Pootle will be conservative and will consider the version
control system to be the authority and any conflicts in the local file
get be converted to suggestions. These suggestions then need to be
reviewed by a translator with 'review' rights. But at least we are sure
we won't have broken files, and we should integrate well with whatever
happened upstream.

There is some more information here:
http://translate.sourceforge.net/wiki/pootle/version_control#updating

It's important that we don't lose those added strings, since this is likely to be a very common occurrence. Most members of language-teams won't have commit rights, so the probability of files being amended by non-commit users is very high.

Going through the changes string by string could be very slow going. Something like a compromise between msgmerge and SVN merge?

from Clytie

Vietnamese Free Software Translation Team
http://vnoss.net/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=projects:l10n