CC Pootle list
______________

Following on to our missing languages on Pootle...

On 01/07/2008, at 11:01 PM, Cristóbal Palmer wrote:

These are Danish, French, German, Hungarian, Lithuanian, Slovenian,
Spanish and Swedish.

Just glancing at the Danish one:

# translation of mailman.po to Dansk
# Danish catalog.
# Translated 2004, by
# J<F8>rn Andersen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> with technical assistance from
# Tom G. Christensen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, 2004, 2005, 2008.
#
msgid ""
msgstr ""
"Project-Id-Version: mailman\n"
"POT-Creation-Date: Fri Jun  6 11:25:34 2008\n"
"PO-Revision-Date: 2008-01-25 15:12+0100\n"
"Last-Translator: Tom G. Christensen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>\n"
"Language-Team: Dansk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>\n"

#: Mailman/Archiver/HyperArch.py:123
msgid "size not available"
msgstr "st&oslash;rrelsen er ikke tilg&aelig;ngelig"

#: Mailman/Archiver/HyperArch.py:129
msgid " %(size)i bytes "
msgstr " %(size)i bytes "

Note especially the 'charset=ISO-8859-1\n' and the use of entity
references like &aelig;. I'm not sure if those are the culprit, but I
suspect so. Similarly, the French one is strewn with lines like this:

 msgstr "Message pr<E9>c<E9>dent:"

with the "<E9>" bits in reverse video.

Not UTF-8. I think Pootle is UTF-8 only. Would non-UTF-8 PO files be displayed, Pootle devs?

I'd speculate that we either have broken symlinks, or the files didn't
get imported/checked out correctly.

We can ask on the Pootle list, but we need more info for them, so we
need to check the directories and links first.

It's one symlink at the top messages/ directory level, so either
everything would be broken or nothing. Per his message, (et), (hr),
(ia), and (no) are all on disk (ie. were successfully checked out from
bzr) but do not appear in the pootle interface. This is because those
are not languages that come loaded in pootle by default. You can add
them at the bottom of the page here:

 http://pootle.metalab.unc.edu/admin/languages.html

Note that that is how I added Hebrew (he). I didn't make any changes
on disk. Rather, I added Hebrew as a potential language from the
pootle interface and then pootle was able to see and recognize the
Hebrew directory that was on disk.

I suggest you check out (locally to you) a copy of mailman with bzr so
that you get exactly what I've gotten:

 bzr branch lp:mailman/stable mailman

once you have that, you'll have everything I have and will be
better-equipped than I am to tackle these problems, since I'm not
familiar with even the basics of i18n. :P

All those languages are covered by our Pootle install: they all show up in the Admin > Languages table, with associated plurals data.

My bet at this stage is that non-UTF-8 files aren't showing up. It wouldn't be a major hassle to convert to UTF-8: all we need to do is open each file in a text editor.

I'll try to checkout the development branch via bzr (if I can remember how: I only have the 2.1 branch currently), and see if I can convert the PO files for these languages. They should be UTF-8, anyway: that is the standard for i18n projects. These are probably long-term translations which haven't caught up with the standard.

from Clytie

Vietnamese Free Software Translation Team
http://vnoss.net/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=projects:l10n