On Wed, Jul 02, 2008 at 09:41:41PM +0930, Clytie Siddall wrote:
> CC Pootle list
> ______________
>
> Following on to our missing languages on Pootle...
>
> On 01/07/2008, at 11:01 PM, Cristóbal Palmer wrote:

<snip />

>>  msgstr "Message pr<E9>c<E9>dent:"
>>
>> with the "<E9>" bits in reverse video.
>
> Not UTF-8. I think Pootle is UTF-8 only. Would non-UTF-8 PO files be
> displayed, Pootle devs?

One I looked at was ISO-8859-1 while another was ISO-8859-15 (Latin 9).

>>  bzr branch lp:mailman/stable mailman
>>
>> once you have that, you'll have everything I have and will be
>> better-equipped than I am to tackle these problems, since I'm not
>> familiar with even the basics of i18n. :P
>
> All those languages are covered by our Pootle install: they all show up
> in the Admin > Languages table, with associated plurals data.
>
> My bet at this stage is that non-UTF-8 files aren't showing up. It
> wouldn't be a major hassle to convert to UTF-8: all we need to do is
> open each file in a text editor.
>
> I'll try to checkout the development branch via bzr (if I can remember
> how: I only have the 2.1 branch currently),

  bzr branch lp:mailman/stable mailman

On an Ubuntu machine, the above line will result in a local directory
called "mailman" that is a branch of the mailman stable tree from
launchpad, which is what you want.

For our pootle install, I took the additional step of doing a checkout
from my local branch to another directory (in my case /root/stable)
and then symlinked from /root/stable/messages to
/var/lib/pootle/mailman.

If you manage to find good (complete, up-to-date) documentation on
bzr, please let me know. I'm somewhat desperate for an equivalent to
SVN's "red-bean" book.

> and see if I can convert the
> PO files for these languages. They should be UTF-8, anyway: that is the
> standard for i18n projects. These are probably long-term translations
> which haven't caught up with the standard.
>
> from Clytie

Thanks for looking into this, Clytie. The more I understand these
issues the better, since ibiblio hosts a fair number of non-English
collections, and the number of such collections keeps growing.

Cheers,
--
Cristóbal Palmer
ibiblio.org systems administrator