Urso Wieske wrote:
> I am considering to use Apache as proxy for Pootle HTTP request.
> Are there people out there who had negative experience with Apache/Pootle?
> Are there any issue on this configuration?

Well, I had a bit of trouble getting it to work, and later found that I
didn't really know how it actually had worked for a while.

My situation is a little bit special, as I am not attempting to install
Pootle on a dedicated server and also not in a regular user account, but
on a machine managed by ISPConfig. The machine is running Ubuntu,
currently Hardy, but at that time Feisty.

The packages in Feisty were a bit bugged and since I am not at all
familiar with Python, I had to blindly trust some advice found on the
net. But that way I could only get the "standalone" Pootle running, so I
tried to install downloaded packages in a virtual user account.

In the end I even got it running, but when I removed the Pootle package
installed through the repository, Pootle ceased to work. It seems
(though I don't know for sure) that I had been running the Pootle from
the system through Apache set up as proxy, but with templates in the
user account and accessible through the user account subdomain.

However, I could not replicate this and put the Pootle installation
aside for the time being. But I will keep Christobal's reply for future
reference and hope it will work better then. Though...

Actually, I would really love it if a Pootle package could simply be
extracted anywhere (system web space or user account) and then be
accessed regularly through the system's httpd - which not always needs
to be Apache. I personally for example use lighttpd or boa as far as
possible, because they cause less load.

So, if Pootle could be installed the same way as let's say phpBB, Zikula
or Drupal, that may make things a bit easier and flexible.

Just my thoughts...

Regards,

Olaf