>>> Hi people,
>>>
>>> After the release of Pootle 2.0, our intention is to keep Pootle
>>> improving, and there are exciting plans for the future.
>>>
>>> In this aspect, the layout of the translate page can be improved and
>>> that has been worked in the past few days.
>>>
>>> The current page has its limitations, and for instance, it doesn't use
>>> all the space available horizontally, since that space is reserved for
>>> displaying terminology entries.
>>>
>>> So a Virtaal approach has been taken, expanding horizontally the
>>> elements within the unit being edited. Thus, 100% of the space is used.
>>>
>>> A couple of screenshots will be more helpful than my words.
>>>
>>> The current unit displaying all the available features:
>>> http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/5788/tpagefull.jpg
>>>
>>> The current unit with less features:
>>> http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/5562/tpagenofull.jpg
>>>
>>> If some features such as suggestions, alternative source language or
>>> terminology are missing, the displayed elements take the remaining
>>> available space.
>>>
>>> Also note that there is a new element being displayed, translation
>>> memory, which for now queries a tmserver[1] of choice. This needs more
>>> work on the backend part, but looks promising and especially useful.
>>>
>>> So after showing you this, we would like to hear from you what you think
>>> about these improvements, how can we improve or what should we focus on.
>>> Feedback, comments, in the end.
>>
>> I don't like the hiding of options unless it is based on user
>> preferences, since some users may want to see all the relevant
>> information, and others may consider useless things like suggestions
>> made by other translators. And when some option is hidden, in certain
>> moments the translator may want to see the option.
>
> There's no magical hiding of elements.
> If the *user* hasn't selected any alternative source languages, or there are
> no user suggestions (or terminology suggestions), simply the remaining space
> is reused.
>
> Are you perhaps suggesting a way to show/hide the information while
> translating and setting the defaults on a user-basis?

I am thinking on saving hiding defaults per user on its profile. The
user can modify the settings to show or hide some options in the
interface. But the user have ALWAYS the chance to show hidden options
on the interface (for example in
http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/5562/tpagenofull.jpg clicking on "2
suggestions" will show the suggestions).

>> Another thing is that the suggestions from translation memory could
>> have a button or some trick to automatically copy the text to the
>> translation field.
>
> That is already implemented, clicking on top of the suggested text copies it
> to the focused textarea, the same way as it's currently done for
> terminology.

Good.