All,

I agree with the concept that the short circuit is not always worst case.  I
have seen many ITE power supplies shut down with a sc, but an output
overload lets the smoke out.

One problem with a trace opening is the reliability of that opening in a
safe manner.  When a certified fuse blows, we can generally trust it will
blow in the same manner under a sc or overload in the field, due to the
tight manufacturing constraints and agency testing on certified fuses.  When
a trace burns out, do we know how reliable it is?  Repeated tests to verify
the reliability may be in order.  Whether the standard requires it (I
haven't researched it), I would consider it due diligence.

Sam Davis
Regulatory Engineer
Professional Testing Inc.
(512)244-3371 x112