Jeffrey,

As already pointed out, the maximum line speed you can achieve with two
analog modems are 33600 bps. To get higher (downstream) speed you will need
a digital modem on one side (connected via a digital line simulator or the
ISDN network).

PBX extensions has often limited bandwidth which means that you might not
get the full 33600 bps regardless of the quality of the modems. I've seen
PBXs which limit modem communication to 9600 bps.

If you modems are of good quality, you should definitely get a 33600 bps
connection through the line similator (or the regular phone line). Try to
set the similator to flat line and something like -25 dBm receive level.
Instead of using ATZ, load the modem's factory default values from ROM using
the AT&F command, it should work on these modems. Make sure your COM port
speed is higher than 33600 e.g. 57600 or 115200 bps.

I would recommend that you switch off the error correction feature during
testing as otherwise you won't see minor receive errors caused by "normal"
line impairments. A good modem should be able to handle receive levels down
to -45 dBm.

Hope this helps.

Roger Magnuson
Managing Director