Question regarding "two-legged" vs. "three-legged" overvoltage
protection circuitry: What are the pro & cons of the two?

Background: Typically, to protect against overvoltages on a telco
interface protection circuit (analog or digital, such as POTS, T1, HDSL,
etc.), one sees either:

1) an MOV/varistor type device across TIP/RING, or
2) two MOV/varistor/gas-tube type devices tied in series across
TIP/RING, with the center connection tied to earth ground.

Of course, there are also typically PTC's or fuses in line for
overcurrent protection.  However, my interest is the pros/cons of the
overvoltage protection topology.

If the interface circuit has no path to earth (typically through
overvoltage protectors), then UL1950/UL1459 allows waiving of the
longitudinal(common) mode overvoltage tests, which makes sense, because
there is no return path for the fault energy.

Since this waiver eliminates about half of the overvoltage testing, why
does one see the "three-legged" topology being used?  Are there some
advantages to shunting energy to earth, rather than just back out the
TIP/RING pair?  Certainly, one has to provide overcurrent protection to
prevent building telco wiring from burning (tested via the MDQ 1-6/10A
fuse), but are there other reasons for preferring a three-legged
approach? What are you missing out on if you elect to use the simpler
topology of just an MOV across TIP/RING?

(To further stir things up, how about if we take into consideration
Bellcore GR-1089-CORE? Does that change things?  I don't believe GR-1089
specifically contains the same waiver as UL1950/UL1459, but certainly
the results are the same, and a test lab should consider waiving for the
same rationale.)

I'm sure many of you have seen both topologies described in application
notes for various interface components, and have had to deal with both.
Any light shed will be appreciated by all.

DWIGHT HUNNICUTT
Sr. Compliance Engineer

*  <dwi...@vina-tech.com>  *
*  (510) 771-3349 direct   *