Hi Susan,

> On Feb 2, 2018, at 9:16 AM, Susan Hares <sha...@ndzh.com> wrote:
>
> Joe:
>
> As WG chair, I need to manage the last of the WG calls for the TRILL.   We
> are closing the TRILL WG and pushing to handle all the drafts in an effective
> manner.  Therefore,  I am going to be more blunt that I normally am.
>
> Are you asking to utilize TLS/DTLS instead of IPSEC tunnel mode on a link?

I’m indicating the doc fails to justify the required use of IP-level security
for a transport encapsulation solution.

> Are you suggesting to run a routing protocol should intermix with data
> forwarding without security?

No.

> If you are asking a draft to be rewritten at this point to explain these
> issues, I would like some substantiating background or theory from the
> routing side to indicate why you feel TLS/DTLS is better than an IPSEC tunnel
> or that a routing protocol should not be protected within a secure tunnel
> against data traffic.  The directions you are asking to document has not be
> successful in routing IGPs or path vector protocols.

Trill goes inside TCP or UDP in this doc. For that part of the path anything
that protects that payload is sufficient. If the payload needs to be protected
elsewhere ie before or after this transit then that is a separate issue.

> If you are suggesting a tutorial is added to a protocol document, provide
> operational reasons why this should be contained within a TRILL protocol
> specification.   If you feel that these reasons for these choices should be
> document in an independent draft, then you are welcome to suggest this to
> Alia Atlas.  I'm sure that Donald Eastlake will consider an independent draft
> explain reasons if Alia Atlas thinks it is useful.

None of this is relevant to my comment.