FWIW:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/t5/lan-switching-and-routing/3850-gre-support-in-hardware/td-p/2402487

<https://supportforums.cisco.com/t5/lan-switching-and-routing/3850-gre-support-in-hardware/td-p/2402487>

https://www.cavium.com/pdfFiles/Nitrox_III_PB_Rev1.0.pdf
<https://www.cavium.com/pdfFiles/Nitrox_III_PB_Rev1.0.pdf>

> 2)      Is the name TRILL over IP valid?
>
> Now as to the name, Joe was correct the name should be changed since it is
> really TRILL over IPSEC + Transport.   Donald’s make the change to the title
> of the document, and in the document.

“IP transport” implies using IP as a tunneling layer, which is not part of this
document’s proposed approach.

Further, the description of how it interacts with TCP is incoherent to anyone
familiar with TCP transport (“slicing” packets and claiming to place them
directly into TCP payloads).

Joe