I hate to state the obvious, but if you are still trying to have Trisquel look like it did in the past, it may be best to stick with MATE for this release and apply the themes from Trisquel 4 or 5. Gnome 3's fallback mode doesn't come close to the look and features of Gnome 2. That is the sad reality.

Gnome Fallback isn't that customizable and attempting to hack it is really wasting everyone's time at this point. The OS is already super late and the delays are effectively pushing this to a LTS only release as the code base it is based on will be 2 versions behind by the time Trisquel 6 is ready.

Consort is still very early so that is not an option. Cinnamon is available for this release, but it doesn't look exactly the same and customizing it will even add more time to the delays.

Like I said before, use MATE, apply the GTK2 themes, tweak the look where needed, and call it a day.