I believe on at least one of these Chromebooks that are being suggested there is a switch and warning that come up every time. It says something about being in developer mode should you install GNU/Linux. You can get around it with some trickery. I think it is a key combination if I recall. I think to get it in this developer mode also requires some hacking. I believe it requires you to open up the notebook and flip a switch. I don't believe the wifi card is free software friendly either. I think it can be replaced though. Maybe somebody who has one can confirm the details.