I meant that it takes a bit of work to install GNU/Linux and then I believe it alerts you to it every time you boot GNU/Linux in the developer mode. No ThinkPenguin machines come with coreboot. x86 is a difficult platform to work with. Either you take AMD solutions and end up with a non-free graphics component alongside a free BIOS or you take Intel and end up with a non-free BIOS. Intel's not been cooperative in regards to coreboot whereas AMD has been.

I don't believe that they are shipping only atheros cards. I had the chance to touch one at Libre planet and the wireless did not work with GNU/Linux.