Speaking of web servers, nginx is under the 2-clause BSD license (http://nginx.org/LICENSE) and due to it being under a permissive license, it can be deployed anywhere. I know that if it was under a GPL license, that the BSD crowd would have a problem with it due to their freedoms being restricted by the GPL.

I totally understand your worries about a permissively licensed piece of software allowing others to make proprietary forks. In the case of nginx again, as long as the standard nginx is free software, who cares if the creator wants to create a custom modified version for a client as long as the original is always free?

Don't also say that "well the creator can always change the license and make it non-free" since that applies to GPL software as well.