While I agree with you, I don't mind mentioning it because for some people (in life or death situations, not americans and europeans trying to hide pictures of their cats) it might be the only real solution. Yes, it is "unethical" from a free software view point, but it is a reliable solution due to the fact that it works, is nearly unbreakable, and you can study the source code (even can make changes for your own use anyway, if you don't mind not sharing them with anyone). And like I said, I am talking about "please, I need to encrypt this file or i will die" situations.

Having said that, I don't mind using GPG (even if I would like to be able to "decrypt" on the fly).