I think that if you want to use Tor and be "sure" that you are somewhat protected, you should begin by doing a little research on what Tor is and how it works.
These videos might help you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hZZNFQm1Vs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=001VMHpsYlw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GanD_lCqLA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=864FxA3jmHk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJNxbpbHA-I

After you watch those, you will conclude that Tor is the safest way to do you everyday browsing, but you should stick to the Tor Browser Bundle and even so not mess too much with the configurations, because "anonimity loves company". So you want to look like everyone else, and not like someone sticking out in the crowd. You don't really need to have Tor being used for updates anyway, for example, and the same goes for using Bank accounts and Facebook (unless you are on the run and don't want to get caught, lol, that case Tor will hide your physical location). Anyway, watch those I mentioned, and you will be able to work it all out by yourself.