The problem is doing nothing means we end up with no good options. It won't matter if you don't use Firefox, IE, or Chrome. It still has a negative impact because more sites will adopt this new standard knowing that all of the important browsers have adopted it. Your non-ie-firefox-chrome browser will just end up getting a pop up warning saying your browser is out of date and that you need to upgrade.

Also- despite Mozilla's bad decision here the alternative browsers are worse. Chrome and IE (if I recall correctly) already include non-free software (Adobe Flash being one of them) or are completely non-free to begin with and they both have already implemented this digital restriction 'standard'.

To keep web sites from forcing users to adopt these standards we need to keep at least one major browser from adopting it. We need to disrupt this standard. It's absolutely critical. If we fail you may soon find that there isn't any video you can play on the web. Not YouTube, not your favorite news web sites, nothing. This is already largely the case because Adobe Flash is a standard method (if not an actual standard) of streaming video and free software advocates can't and won't adopt it.