ISTR the coreboot notes on the X60 saying something about a security processor. Probably it'll have it's own ROM and thus qualify for the auxillary processor exception in RYF. Possibly that's the culprit. I'd expect something like that to have difficulty phoning home over the freedom friendly WiFi card Gluglug replace the Lenovo provided one with because it'd have to drive the hardware directly.

Looking on the bright side, once we know where it is sending the info to you should have a ready market for these libre routers you've mentioned are upcoming. All Gluglug owners will be wanting a router to which they can add an IPtables rule to block the outbound traffic... :-).