Wikipedia says that the zip file format was released into the public domain. Does that mean that it's free?

How does zip compare to other archiving formats? Does the answer change depending on the archive material size (eg 5mb, 500mb, 50gb)?

Zip seems like a good option for a workplace, partly because the big proprietary operating systems support it. If you think that this reasoning is wrong, please tell me.

I also have to password protect the archive. If I password my zip file, will Archive Manager encrypt the contents of the archive reliably (like how I assume GPG would)?