The problem is the projects use-case makes eliminating the non-free software difficult. I think they'd likely agree that the non-free software is a security risk and the licensing is problematic. They've chosen to remove TrueCrypt as an example for similar issues. While not closed in nature (the source code is available) it is not in line with free software license standards. This is in part because of things that happened a long time ago prior to a lot of the standardization and the fact the copyright was sold to a company that isn't going to re-license it. You can only develop under an out-of-date incompatible license as a result.

The best thing to do in this situation is talk to the Tails developers. Maybe post a bug report. Some of these bugs might actually get fixed over time and some of these "bugs" may already have been filed. Somebody might be working on them. However you need to look into it. I keep tabs on the Tails project, but am in no way involved in development- nor do I keep tabs on the bug reports. At best I've read bug reports from time to time. I am on both the Tor and Tails mailing lists.