FredB: I see that you didn't take the effort to even see if your wireless NIC would work with free software (I can tell because you misidentified your Ethernet NIC as your wireless NIC, so you didn't even bother to do a web search for its model) and even knowing for an option that allows you to avoid proprietary software, you didn't take it, but you installed the proprietary software instead.

It's necessary that we put effort than that to achieve our goals. That applies to all areas of human activity. Using proprietary software whenever a free replacement isn't available (Even more when one *IS* available, such as in this case) means perpetuating the existence of the proprietary program and the absence of the free replacement.