I do not know if there are other reasons for a wireless interface being named any thing else than wlan0 other than unless you have multiple NICs (USB dongles get the same name pattern from what I recall - wlanX for wireless and ethX for ethernet) or you associated multiple names with the same interface on networkmanager, wicd or whatever GUI tool you are using (since you did not specify).

As for the driver, I believe it is pretty obvious if Debian includes it in the non-free repository; as those that are not proprietary or otherwise go elsewhere.