HuangLao, did you actually get JWM to work on Belenos? I tried and tried on Toutatis and finally gave up and decided that Flux would have to be "good enough". I will be so grateful to you if you did and can give me any tips as far as "workarounds" to make it look like Damn Small Linux did circa 2005ish.

My current minimalist box is a command line only Asus Eee PC 700 series with a 2 gig ssd that I picked up for $25, but my next project will have a much slower processor and some sort of minimal GUI and probably be more along the lines of retro fun than anything that can or should connect to the internet on a regular basis.

OP, sometimes family dynamics get in the way of newbie friendliness. I've had to accept that about my mother and just hope that I can return the favour when her 13 year old tech support dude's mother needs some tech support. :P

I personally found Damn Small Linux much easier to learn than Mandrake, which was considered the ultimate user-friendly newbie distro of the day. One size definitely doesn't fit all.