I've seen a lot of applications which depend on the X Window System. Does this mean X is being "forced" on the community? I don't think so. Programmers choose what other programs their programs depend on for all kinds of reasons, but I don't think some sort of conspiracy to "force" the dependency on others is one of them.

Another example: I, as a Python developer, prefer Python 3 over Python 2. If I write a Python 3 program that doesn't work on Python 2, it's not because the Python developers are trying to force people who don't like Python 3 to use Python 3! All the Python developers did was appeal to me with the improvements in Python 3 over Python 2. In other words, they wrote better software. I don't think writing better software is a bad thing, or a sign of something bad (unless that better software is proprietary, but neither systemd nor GNOME 3 is proprietary).