I heard multiple times in conversations that it doesn't really support it anymore.

Static linking includes whatever library code you are using in the library. If the binaries were statically linked he wouldn't have trouble running them on his system. They would be abit bigger though.

I think I might want to statically link them if there are such problems with linux binaries (they never seem to work between versions ... only windows bins do)

as for compiling DarkPlaces engine: ./configure; make;
But check the configure stuff, there should be an option to set game to Xonotic and to do a release compile (which are alot faster).