RMS is almost spot on in the clip. We will need to design stuff from the ground up, but it's going to go beyond just a case and a motherboard. Right now we don't even have components which we can use and the direction is such that those who are in a position to design and manufacture said components are going in a direction where we can't dictate whats on the motherboards of tomorrow. As a result I think what he is saying actually utterly underestimates the significance of it all. This isn't going to be just a little money that needs to be raised. It's going to exceed the capability of anything we can foreseeably raise as a community.

We need funding like that which has never been raised in the history of fund-raisers. We need to design CPUs, wireless chips, and more. And even that won't make use free. We have governments which are forcing proprietary software on us via regulations now. This is going to get much much worse. Entire governments seem to be unable to produce there own chips at a cost effective price point. To suggest we can succeed here [in free'ing everything] is likely unrealistic even if we can produce successful businesses models to fund engineers, build plants / or outsource it, and manufacture in quantities needed to make it cost effective.

To give me an idea it might take 100,000+ wifi cards a year to keep manufacturing going of a discontinued chipset. At this number your likely then going to pay $30 a card, which might be 3-6 times what it cost prior, and then selling something at a $60 price point that is a generation or more old? It doesn't work economically and you won't have demand within the free software world to do it. Even if you take into account all GNU/Linux users (not just free software advocates) it's going to extraordinary unlikely. Your talking about needing to get 1/5 of all sales of particular category of wifi card (say USB) using GNU/Linux to buy from a single source.

* The numbers I pulled off the top of my head, but they're not unrealistic for quotes I've reprieved on what it would take to make it happen.

Now there might be a cheaper way to go. You could possibly get discontinued chipsets and build wifi cards in smaller quantities for a lot less. Maybe. But your not actually manufacturing the wifi chip part then so it's still a dead end.