I installed Debian 8 on a USB stick when it came out in May and if I remember correctly at the end of the installation it asked me if I wanted to install grub so, not being sure I clicked "no" and that resulted in an unbootable Debian stick.. So I reinstalled and answered "yes" to "install grub" and was asked to choose the hard disk on which to install it (either my lappy hard drive or the USB stick itself - I selected my hard drive and that way the grub on my hard drive just got updated with the entry for booting Debian from the USB..

cheers