High-traffic mailing lists are fine if you are the kind of person who focuses on one project at a time, or has a fairly narrow range of interests. For magpies like myself who are involved at different levels in many different projects and communities, subscribing to mailing lists for all of these quickly creates an unmanageable email flood. I prefer low-traffic mailing lists for urgent/ important announcements, and forums for the high-traffic chitter-chatter.

Thus, although I am generally an email-centric person in my net use, I like to use the Trisquel forums via the web, not email. Also, it's easy to search the forums using the web. The only way to do this by email would be to keep an email archive of the entire forum on my hard drive, and try to search through that. No thanks.