I am really amazed how many people ignire this and yet it is the first point you should read when you go to download TBB..

Want Tor to really work?

You need to change some of your habits, as some things won't work exactly as you are used to.

    Use the Tor Browser

a) Tor does not protect all of your computer's Internet traffic when you run it. Tor only protects your applications that are properly configured to send their Internet traffic through Tor. To avoid problems with Tor configuration, we strongly recommend you use the Tor Browser. It is pre-configured to protect your privacy and anonymity on the web as long as you're browsing with the Tor Browser itself. Almost any other web browser configuration is likely to be unsafe to use with Tor.