I'm dual booting Trisquel on an old pc. It has an after market sound card in it. When I run windows, the sound card can take a line-in signal and pass it through to the 5.1 speaker system. This is kind of my main audio system at my desk. If I'm working on my personal or work laptop, I just connect the headphone out to the tower sound card and avoid using laptop speakers.

The problem occurs when I boot Trisquel. The line through functionality doesn't work. I'm running xfce4.
  $ xfce4-mixer
brings up the audio mixer just fine. In the sound card selection I can see the Envy24. I can also see a "Built-in Audio Analog Stereo (PulseAudio Mixer)" selection. So Trisquel sees the sound card.

Looking up drivers for the sound card, they are all for Windows.

It's tough for me to test if the sound card is working for audio originating in the system since I don't have any media players or anything and don't know how to generate a test tone in Linux.

Thanks for any help.