"You are paying him to work on the project"

Really? OK, well you are not paying him anywhere near enough to keep him from quitting and taking a consulting job that pays 10x as much money. In fact, he is sacrificing a lot of money to help YOU and you owe him a lot more money for doing that. So, again, he doesn't owe you anything. Let me make it even clearer:

Tell you what, I'll pay you $5/hour (maybe--if you are lucky!) if you work 20 hours / week in addition to whatever else you do with your real job, friends, family, etc... Here are some conditions to this wonderful job for $5/hour:

1.) I won't guarantee you that you will get the $5/hour

2.) If consulting work comes up that pays $50/hour you will not have time to take it. Your priority is this $5/hour job!!

3.) You are to report to me when I tell you to report to me. If you do not, I will complain every day and call you unprofessional and perhaps even fire you (if you didn't quit already!)

4.) You will explain to others that it takes about 2 years between major releases of your work. They will bother you every single day after only 1.5 years has passed.

Maybe you are right. Maybe he should be grateful for the $5/hour and the obnoxious behavior of his 'employer'. Jobs are scarce right now. He might not even be able to get a job pumping gasoline or delivering pizza where he would make more money! Maybe we should wait until somebody comes along who would appreciate the pittance and the abuse. I'm sure Ruben would be happy to quit and give that person the reins. That should work out really well...until they quit. If you want professional results, pay a professional salary