I never tested 9xxx or 8xxx series on GNU and Nouveau. I think the same, these GPUs are slow.

If you want to buy gt740, buy only with gddr5, I have Gigabyte one with 2gb of dggr5.

Do not buy "ti" versions, are different, not Kepler.

gtx750-gtx760-gtx770 must run fine too (not Ti).

Every Kepler you can run with GNU system you want, but install jxself's kernel, latest kernel is important.

Previously I played Counter-Strike GO with my gtx770, Mint and Nouveau. I still have gtx770, but I suing gt740, enough power for me, and no need for powerful PSU or extra wires for that GPU, less TDP and less heat, +it is smaller, easy for repair, change thermal paste, fan and heatsink/cooler.

Don't forget that before run any 3d game, you must to write reclock command into terminal, and after game play, reclock to the low pstate. So, it doens't clock and downclock automatically.