Yeah, BSD is good, even Stallman doesn't see a problem with it because the copyleft people get to play with it. I think there will be more free IPCores that can add missing functionality. Like there could be a implementation of a fusion of PowerVR and Voodoo design for the GPU with more modern stuff added on top of it. If I know engineers, some will code for fun and they'll add in an implementation of Glide support for shits and giggles.

It all trickles down. If you want to use the same process as the Pentium 4, it will cost you almost nothing and once we go to 7nm as the new hotness, we're going to be on 7nm for a while and I have no idea when we'll have graphene, so 7nm might last us a while and by the time it will be obsolete, the patents on the process would have expired and ordering a custom CPU might be more of a free market where you can make an order from a $20M Company instead of a $1T Company like TSMC