I didn't think of stability issues (which I kinda have).

I'm definitely not too hot for remote hardware unless I intend to have many visitors.

Last but not least, let's say I want a server to get social media like Diaspora the easy way (just like getting a program from the repo). I don't need it to be on at all times, only when I use it. Or am I missing something?

Because that would be a great thing to just download say Diaspora with its own server "for dummies". It would get the load off the existing servers, and people would own their data the easy way.