Well, when spawning the game in a new x server (with the following command found thanks to archwiki: xinit /usr/games/openra mono --gc=sgen -- :1 vt$XDG_VTNR), I do have the laptop's native resolution also displayed on my external screen. At first I thought it was playable, but as soon as the screen gets crowded, it's way too slow, even at the highest speed parameter. I can try an even lower resolution, but that wouldn't be as fun. I originally wanted to play at full resolution of my external screen.

I doubt the kernel update would be enough since the GPU is too weak anyway. I'm really curious about having an external GPU linked to a Thinkpad, please let me know if you made it work. That's a great idea.