Your college would know you logged in so you can get credit for your homework etc. If you use tor in tails your ISP wouldn't know because the first thing that happens is tor sets up an encrypted channel to the tor network. No doubt they probably know you used tor but that would be all. That's no crime.

You can get tor for Trisquel or almost any OS but I found that it didn't always work unless I found the right tweaks (and I'm no pro either) but tails seemed to come pretweaked you might say. The PC just needs permission in the BIOS to be able to boot from usb first if available (assuming you install it to a flash drive).

If you have the time you might give tails a try. It's a lot easier than QubesOS I would say and also, it's a live OS so if you don't think it fits your needs all it cost you was a flash drive and you can always reformat that and use it for something else.