The libre driver is included in Linux (and Linux-libre), so you wouldn't have to install it. That driver is Nouveau, and the Nouveau website has a page documenting support for the various features of the cards:

https://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/FeatureMatrix/

In general, the standard advice if something doesn't work is to try the latest version of Linux-libre (jxself supplies one here). If that doesn't work, you'll have to wait a few years for Nouveau to catch up, remove it and use integrated graphics instead (good choice if you have an Intel CPU, not any use if you have an AMD CPU), or replace the card with an older model that Nouveau supports.

By the way, regarding whether or not being a "product" exempts games from needing to be libre: if that were the case, that would exempt Windows, Microsoft Office, the various Adobe programs, etc. These are all considered to be "products", too. The simple fact is that just as they are proprietary software, proprietary games are proprietary software.

I suggest you should never financially support proprietary game developers, and instead support development of libre games. You can do this by supporting crowdfunding campaigns (such as my recent campaign for Hexoshi), or by donating to projects/developers you like.