Another thing I did WRONG was letting my ex pay for the kids' phones and phone bills.

By being the "cool mom" who gave her daughter piercings and tattoos for birthday presents, I maintained enough power to make sure they were done in sanitary conditions by trained professionals---and of course, that there weren't but so many of them, because the kid had to describe in detail what she wanted and then wait for the next gift giving occasion.

My 9 year old doesn't need a phone yet, but when he does I will gladly pay the bill for a simple flip phone or replicant.

If your teens are older or your ex is paying for their phones, you STILL have the right to have rules about when, how, and where phones are used in YOUR house and around YOUR four year old.

It's probably not as common as it used to be, but some people do not allow cell phones in their homes at all. Socially it's a lot like those eccentric folks who don't let you wear shoes inside. You may think they're a little strange and even giggle about it behind their backs, but you don't express your feewings by ignoring their signs and the cubbyholes on their porches and tracking mud all over their white carpets, do you?