The graphics chipset actually performs pretty well. We also optimized it in Libreboot; LenovoBIOS allocates 32MiB of Video RAM only.

The chipset itself supports 256MiB VRAM allocation, but factory BIOS doesn't do it.

Libreboot does :)

In the recent Libreboot releases, based on Intel datasheets, we made 256MiB VRAM the default. This should improve the performance a lot, and things like video decoding/encoding work very well now. Certain games which use a lot of Video RAM should also perform better in the latest Libreboot releases.

I play games sometimes and most games run well on my T400. I also regularly stream 1080p videos and they play smoothly without any lag.