First: I didn't evaluate how free/libre NVIVO is. I assume it's not
free/libre. If somenone made the evaluation/review, and if it's really
in the Free Software Directory, or in some default repository of
free/libre system distributions, please tell me. It appears to me that
NVIVO is currently not free/libre because of the following text: "You
agree that you will not reverse engineer, decompile, or otherwise
attempt to access the source code of the Software. Unless the
accompanying license agreement expressly allows otherwise, any copying
or redistribution of the Software is strictly forbidden. This also
applies to any copying or reproduction of the Software to any other
server or location for further reproduction, redistribution or
use. Unauthorized use, reproduction or distribution of the Software is
illegal, and may result in severe civil and criminal
penalties. Offenders will be prosecuted to the maximum extent of the
law." (from [[http://www.qsrinternational.com/legal]]).

Based on this, you can:

a. Use someone else's computer to do the work, without installing any
   non-(free/libre) software in the person's computer. The idea here
   would be to do this with someone's computer that already has NVIVO
   for some time. Also, while being required to use this person's
   computer, it's a good idea to document how inpractical it was, and
   later on send what was documented to QSR International so that they
   can see how inconvenient the loss of the essential freedoms of the
   software is. This is one of my recommendations.

b. Don't use NVIVO. Instead, use a free/libre one, like QualTA
   ([[https://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/qualta]], note that this is a
   random/untested suggestion, and that no other free/libre substitute
   is known by be so far, I have tried to look on the Free Software
   Directory, on the Parabola repository, on the Guix/GuixSD repository,
   and also in Trisquel repository, but only found this one in GNU
   Savannah). This is one of my recommendations.

c. Install QEMU and a system distribution that runs NVIVO with
   QEMU. This option isn't recommended because it postpones the problems
   related to the loss of the essential freedoms of the software, and
   since you are one of the people affected by it, it'd be best if you
   find (or hire) people to solve the problems, pressure the affected
   organization that is using NVIVO to not use it (for example, pressure
   the college in which you study to not use NVIVO, this can be done by
   using a petition to collect signatures from students), or pressure
   QSR International to completely free/liberate NVIVO (this last option
   isn't guaranteed to work since for-profit organizations tend to
   ignore our demands). We can help up to the QEMU part, and possible
   QEMU-specific issues, but we cannot help with using the (probably
   non-free) system distribution, and we cannot help on using NVIVO.

--
- [[https://libreplanet.org/wiki/User:Adfeno]]
- Palestrante e consultor sobre /software/ livre (não confundir com