My understanding is that systemd is so far upstream and gets its claws into so much that posts like this are just going to depress and distract Ruben and really should go in the troll lounge.

But what do I know.

It is also still extremely controversial and people can get stuck with the debating and things that can be done just don't get done.

Belenos uses Upstart. Flidas uses systemd because that is what is upstream. There are other distros that don't use systemd and other developers who care about freedom and are working as hard as they can as fast as they can.

Free Slack would be an option as would Parabola as would limping along with less-than-perfect. I don't like it either.