> I am thinking of carrying a computer folded in a backpack, running free software and supplying me with audio via bluetooth.

So you want to use voice over ip or wouldn't it be a problem for you to not being reachable via mobile calls? I didn't have a mobile for years when everybody else had one. And I did like it. Unfortunately my boss is insisting that I carry such a tracking device with me because he wants to reach me and I should check if the web pages we create run smoothly on such devices also. I didn't object since he is paying the bill. But I would like to get rid of my mobile again as soon as this isn't the case any more.

I didn't miss the opportunity to call people on the move before mobile phones where common. And I am still not convinced if they cause more good than harm.