Lennart Poettering only wrote this message in the thread:

I am not sure I'd consider this much of a problem. Yeah, it's a UNIX pitfall, but "rm -rf /foo/.*" will work the exact same way, no?
https://github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/5644#issuecomment-290345033

Is that "hysterical"? If there must be "hysterical grandmas" in that thread, they are the haters finding outrageous that Lennart Poettering ask a question on the behavior of 'rm -rf /foo/.*' (notice the "no?" at the end of his message):

For some people it's advisable to never miss a chance to stay silent. (...) Way to highlight how little consideration is being given to issues reported by systemd users. Bodes well for the whole project!..
https://github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/5644#issuecomment-294384461

shocking to hear. no, and you REALLY should know that as many others do or AT LEAST test it before pretend such nonsense - frankly
https://github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/5644#issuecomment-294414802

Moreover, Lennart Poeterring is actually right since he was talking about UNIX, not GNU/Linux.

Finally, the problem in question was solved the day after it was reported: https://github.com/systemd/systemd/commit/ab883125704b9310dcdfcf7451a27e85609da76c

But the solution was improved the day after because Lennart Poeterring proposed a better fix: https://github.com/systemd/systemd/pull/5653#issuecomment-290346072

In the end, if there is a "horror story" here, it must have to do with Lennart Poettering constantly suffering from haters who do not lose an occasion to attack/insult him because he does *not* know everything or for no reason at all...