>most recent high-end x86 CPUs

I do not. I have a lenovo t400. It is fast enough to have several programs running at the same time. Display youtube hd vidoes. Have a dozen tabs open in firefox. It happens that the computer stalls. But not often. That would be my benchmark.
It is unlikely the current pc card will be able to manage the above tasks.

>tons of ARM CPUs exist that are as fast or even faster

I know of no one, which is libre software, for sale and performing equal to a lenovo t400 cpu.

>is the one lkcl is looking at for the next EOMA68 card.

If it is the Rockchip RK3288, I will have to see it showing a performance like a x86 duo core cpu, before I believe it.

I do not doubt we will get arm cpus, which will be able to act like a x86 notebook. We do not know when? And if it will be small enough to fit in a pc card? Because arm software is not libre software, lkcl can only get it by software error, reverse engineering or leaks. That is an uncertain strategy.

>EOMA68 isn't supposed to use the same amount of power as x86

If you put a notebook cabinet on sale, people have a just expectation at some point getting a pc card, which will make the notebook run as fast as a x86 notebook, including common gnulinux software.