Glad to hear the quick review; here's my first impression:

I started the live system, made using the DD command and a USB drive. Screen reader and music cme up as expected; this is what I wanted. Mate desktop, menus, and control center work nicely. My Think Penguin USB wifi adaptor is not recognized, and I cannot connect, yet, lsusb shows it to be present. I have not yet tried a wired connection. Your observation that installation took many attempts gives me pause re: installing onto a machine having UEFI. What did you do, in the final attempt, that resulted in a working system?