Thank you for sharing your thoughts.  They are very honest and
understandable.

> I'm a poor college student who is forced to use nonfree
> software by my work and college. I have a windows laptop that I use for these
>
> occasions.

Yeah, this makes sense, although I would not go as far as owning a
Windows machine or bringing it into my private space.  If a job
application is only online, for example, I insist that the company
provide the computer to run their crappy job application software on.

I'm a poor college dropout who occasionally has to use the computer
terminals at work.  However, just like operating a cash register
computer terminal for work, it's not my computing.

In fact, company policy dictates that an employee must never do their
computing anywhere in the building under any circumstances.  User
freedom is therefore not affected by proprietary software at my job.

> I also carry a cellphone, despite my general agreement with
> Stallman's criticisms of them (I am not an important enough person for people
>
> to agree to make any special accommodations for).

I'm too poor to afford a cellphone.  The break room at work has a
landline I can use, and I carry a list of phone numbers in my pocket in
case I want to call someone.  There are also payphones available in case
the break room telephone is in use, and I keep quarters on hand, but I
never need to use them: When I go to the break room, everyone is glued
to the computing devices in their pockets.

> Anyways, enough rambling (I had some good tea!).

What kind of tea?  It's cold here, and I have been drinking lots of red
tea.

--
Caleb Herbert
OpenPGP public key: http://bluehome.net/csh/pubkey