lourivell...@gmail.com wrote:
What do you guys think about BS that mozilla pulled by installing an
addon without the users consent?
While I can understand that this was not handled well in terms of public relations, I think it's mostly a manufactured outrage (an excuse to be righteously indignant over something relatively minor) for those who don't look at the issue in terms of software freedom.

I think you'll find that the browsers with the most serious focus on privacy (such as TorBrowser) still build on some variant of Firefox (Firefox ESR, if I recall correctly). There's good reason for that and you should consider that before you carry out your decision to not use Firefox anymore.

I was just in the process of fully switching to Firefox - despite
knowing that they were basically just the lesser evil. I figured as long
as the product was good, and I could configure my browser with privacy
in mind, Id give it a shot.
You're not going to get that capability with any nonfree software. Respect for privacy requires free software.

Well they are showing thier true colors - I will not be using firefox
anymore.
I don't understand how "true colors" is being defined here. True colors is set by one instance where a long-standing free software web developer distributes additional free software that does something you don't like? This seems indistinguishable from ignoring years of free software-respecting history.

Let's not forget that all Firefox users still get their software freedom respected with Firefox -- one could choose to inspect the code, remove objectionable code, distribute the result (to help one's community), and encourage others to use that variant instead of the upstream code. If any nonfree browser distributor did what Mozilla did, users of that browser wouldn't have these freedoms to help themselves fix the problem; they'd have to wait for the very party that treated them badly to fix that problem (and always wonder if there was other objectionable code remaining).