Things are not always black and white and people juggle with many types of competing priorities. I respect the resolve of those who reject every proprietary program, but life is full of other inconveniences (like finding food and shelter) that sometimes take priority in the life of people I care.

Whether or not switching OS and using mostly freedom respecting programs is a waste, in some cases those I have helped move towards software freedom dread the thought of ever using a proprietary OS, or certain programs.

This is not meant to disrespect software freedom. It is very important in my life and I have dedicated much time to it. At the same time, I refuse to impose an all or nothing reality on the people I help.

At the same time, I think it is very important for people like RMS and the FSF to be very strict about this. They are the shining light others look toward for direction when it comes to software freedom.