> Everything always seems to render differently
> between MS Office and LibreOffice.

And Microsoft will make sure that it will always be so, *if* I understand Microsoft's general marketing policies correctly.

> Microsoft Office supports ODF now, so that's good.

I am not sure that it will amount to much, because it is a "lip service" by Microsoft, never meant to work properly in large/professional scale. Had Microsoft supported ODF before OOXML was standardized (which they never would, as it would have undermined OOXML's standardization) then *that* would have been good.

Now that Microsoft have managed to usher the game into their own backyard (OOXML), they can now support ODF as a symbolic gesture and this will never amount to anything serious. They will deliberately make ODF support subtly buggy and semi-compatible in order to sustain subtle incompatibility between MS-Office and LibreOffice. They must stay incompatible.

I also suspect they will introduce "improvements" in their version of OOXML to effectively lock customers into MS Office.

The ultimate idea is, to my understanding, MS Office and Libre Office should not blend together well, so Microsoft can get to offer "either all MS or no MS" proposition to their corporate customer base. This is kind of wrist-wrestling: While on top, Microsoft will try everything they can in order to sustain subtle incompatibility - subtle enough to block mixed usage in large deployments. But when/if ODF becomes more popular, then Microsoft will be championing the compatibility issue more than anyone else.

Cheap cheap corporate tricks.